Sunday, January 13, 2013

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog!  My name is Kirsten and I am a stay at home mother of 2 boys - ages 7 and 5.  I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a little over a year ago, so I have been gluten free since then.  I recently decided that it was best for me to give up dairy as well.

I love to cook and bake and I am always sharing my favorite recipes with friends.  I have found it challenging to find simple, yet healthy recipes that my boys will actually eat, but over the years, I have found many and most of them were already gluten free or were easy to convert.  Over the past 6 months, I have been asked for recipes and suggestions by so many friends who are going GF themselves, that I decided to start this blog!

I am hoping that my experience with the GF life will benefit you!  After all, it's a lot of work to learn how to be GF and I figure, if I can share my information with others, maybe it will save them some time and effort.  I know how busy life can be, especially if you are a mom (or a dad)!

So I hope you will find some useful information here - and hopefully a recipe or two!  All of the recipes are gluten free and most are either casein free or can be easily changed to be casein free.  We do eat butter, which is a dairy product, so if you have an allergy to dairy, you would want to substitute something for the butter.  I usually replace cow's milk in recipes with Almond Milk or Coconut Milk.  Blue Diamond also makes an Almond/Coconut blend that is awesome for cooking/baking!

**Casein is the protein in milk and lactose is the sugar in milk**

If you are new to being GF, believe me, I know it's overwhelming at first, but you can do it!  Don't get discouraged.  It will become second nature before long.  You will get used to reading labels, being that "difficult person" at the restaurant and learning how to cook healthy, GF recipes for your family!

And if you have any questions - I am happy to help!  I know it's hard at first, but hang in there, it will get easier, I promise!

Oh, one more thing - I do not post any recipes that I have not made myself, so know that every recipe on this blog has been successfully made and enjoyed by me and my family!  I also post "NOTES" at the bottom of each recipe showing any changes I may have made or any comments specific to that recipe.

Thanks for visiting!  Stop back anytime!

Blessings,
Kirsten

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome blog Kirsten! Keep up the good work -- I know you're helping alot of people.

Love ya,
Sal

Kirsten said...

Thanks Sal!! I wish I had more time to devote to it, but I will have to settle for building it a little each day. Love you lots!