Friday, January 18, 2013

Butter Herb Baked Fish

This is by far one of my favorite main dishes!  My kids and hubby love it too!  I am sad that I have to omit the parmesan now because I am dairy-free, but it doesn't take much away from it - it's still delicious and the kids and my husband didn't even notice the difference!

I have been using Costco's tilapia for a few years now, but I have recently read some disturbing things about it, not just Costco's, but tilapia in general, so if you might want to do some research yourself and perhaps go with another white fish.  To read what I found about tilapia, look for my post "Tilapia - is it good for you?"

Enjoy!
Kirsten

BUTTER HERB BAKED FISH

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup crushed Glutino crackers - Original flavor
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried parsely
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 lb. fish fillets (recipe calls for cod or haddock)

1)  Heat oven to 350F.  Melt the butter in the microwave in a dish that each fillet will fit into.  Drizzle a little of the melted butter into a 9x13 pan and set the rest aside.

2)  Combine cracker crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, basil, parsely and garlic powder in a dish that each fillet will fit into.

3) Dip fish in butter then in crumb mixture, then place in buttered pan.  Repeat with each fillet.  Drizzle remaining butter over the fillets in the pan (optional, but it makes it taste that much better).

4)  Bake 25-30 min. (depending on the size of your fillets) or until fish flakes with a fork.

NOTES:

~Like I mentioned above, I have been using Tilapia, but may be changing that.  I like it for it's non-fishy taste and light texture, but it may have some negatives that outweigh the positives.

~If you are dairy free, omit the parmesan cheese.

~If you are not gluten-free, the original recipe calls for saltine crackers, and I have also used oyster crackers, either works great!

~I normally use 4 fish fillets, sometimes 5 if they are small.



No comments: