Monday, January 14, 2013

My Favorite Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free Product List!

There are many GF and/or DF products out there - some are awesome, some are decent and some are just nasty!!  I will keep updating this list because I keep trying new things too, but here is a list of some of my favorite products! (I will have to finish this list over the next few days - I am a mom - so I don't have much time for blogging!)

If you have access to a Woodman's Grocery Store - it is my favorite place to shop for natural foods and GF/DF foods - they have an incredible selection and best of all - great prices!

1)  Pamela's Pancake Mix - this is NOT dairy free - it contains buttermilk, so I will no longer be using it, but if you can have dairy - go for it!  It's the BEST!!  You won't even know they are gluten free!  If you like thicker pancakes, make the batter thicker, if you like thin ones - add more water!

2)  Pamela's Cornbread Mix - lots of butter in this recipe and lots of sugar - but that is what makes it soooo delicious!!  It is gluten-free and dairy-free (except for the butter, which you add to the mix).  Yay, I can still eat this one!  I make the cornbread into muffins and freeze them in resealable plastic bags, that way I can just take out one or two whenever we want a snack!

3)  Gluten Free Sensations - Cherry Vanilla Almond Granola - just tried this today and it is AWESOME!!!  .  It's gluten-free and dairy-free and super yummy.  I love to add granola to my yogurt and this is so good, you will want to eat it by the handful!  (Oh - and Woodman's carries Coconut Milk yogurt, for you dairy-free folks like myself - I haven't tried it yet - just bought some today - so I'll let you know what I think soon!)

4)  Canyon Bakehouse Bread - many GF folks say that Udi's is the best bread, but I like Canyon Bakehouse much better!  It's about $5.75 a loaf (and they are small) at Woodman's, Udi's is similar in price, but I order CBB on-line by the case and it's a cheaper price, so with shipping, it's about the same as what I pay in the store.  We go through it like crazy, and like I said, the loaves are small, so I stock up and freeze it.  **Note - keep it in the freezer until you are ready to use it, then leave it on the counter - do NOT refrigerate it - contrary to popular belief - your bread will dry out more quickly in the fridge!

5)  Kind Bars - you have to pick and choose, because some are not dairy free, but they are all gluten free and they are delicious.  I have my favorite flavors - Almond Coconut is probably my top fav.  They are expensive - I pay about $1.25 a bar at Woodman's and I have gotten them on-line too, but if you can afford it, they are a delicious and healthy snack for you or your kiddos!  I sometimes send one to school with my 7 year old for his afternoon snack.

6)  Annie's Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Bunny Cookies - my son loves these.  They are also dairy free! 

7)  Kinnikinnick KinniKritters Animal Cookies - okay, I have to admit, I am somewhat addicted to these!  They are delicious!  My little guy thinks they taste like lemon.  I think they are just light and crunchy and delicious!  They are also gluten and dairy free!

8)  Lucy's Cinnamon Thin cookies - WOW is all I can say for these!  I wouldn't recommend buying them for yourself!  They are super expensive and you WILL eat them ALL!  I was buying them for my son's lunch - but decided to make my own due to cost, but they are delicious for a special treat.  They also have oatmeal, chocolate chip and a few other flavors and they are all good!

9)  Glutino Gluten Free Crackers - Original - these are tasty little crackers, but not my favorite for eating with cheese and sausage or something like that.  They remind me of pie crust actually (taste not texture).  I found a better cracker for snacking on - so now I just use these for "bread crumbs" in recipes.  I know they sell GF bread crumbs that are already, well, crumbs, but I just haven't tried any of them yet.  I found something I like, so I'm afraid to switch!  Kids might like to eat these plain, they are thin and crunchy and they do taste great, just can't compare to a Ritz!  They also have other flavors like Veggie and Cheese, but I have not tried those.

10)  Schar pasta - is by far the best pasta I've found.  I love the spaghetti, the Tagliatelle (like egg noodles, just a little thinner) and the Fusilli (cork-screw) - and they are all gluten-free and dairy-free!  Just make sure your water is boiling before you add the pasta to the water and DO NOT over cook it.  Don't add any oil to the water, but I usually add a few pinches of kosher salt to flavor the pasta while it cooks.

11)  Organicville Organic Ketchup - I love this product because in addition to being gluten-free and dairy-free, it is organic and there isn't anything in it that you cannot pronounce!!  Also, no corn syrup or sugar added!  It's sweetened naturally with agave nectar - and it tastes great!  Ingredients:  Organic Tomato Puree, Organic Agave Nectar, Organic White Vinegar, Salt, Organic Onion Powder and Organic Spices.  Love it!

12)  SO Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt - So I tried this yogurt today for the first time.  I tried the Strawberry.  It definitely had a different flavor.  At first I wasn't sure if I liked it or not.  I think if you are used to regular yogurt, it would take a little getting used to.  My favorite yogurt is the Yoplait Orchard Cherry, which is quite a bit sweeter than the So Delicious Strawberry, but it will work!  I added some of the Cherry Vanilla Almond Granola (#3 above) and a few frozen blueberries and it was awesome!  It left a little funny aftertaste in my mouth, but all in all, I think I can get used to it.  I am going to try using the vanilla in my fruit smoothies - I'm sure that will work perfectly!  I haven't tried the other flavors, like I said, but if you like yogurt and you have to be dairy-free - try this - it's a great replacement for cow's milk yogurt!!  Oh - an added bonus - no artificial colors, dairy-free, gluten-free AND soy-free!  Only 140 calories (50 from fat) in a container and it has 30% RDA-B12, 10% Vit.C, 8% Iron, 25% Calcium & 25% Magnesium, not too shabby!

13)  Farmland All Natural Uncured Bacon - Don't be afraid of the word "uncured"!  As long as you don't leave it out of the refrigerator, it won't hurt you!  I would be more afraid of words like Nitrate and Nitrite!  And this product has none of those!  It is all natural, no antibiotics or hormones, no artificial ingredients and it's minimally processed.  It's naturally hickory smoked and it's delicious!  We don't eat bacon often, because it is still, well, bacon (FAT), but when we do, this is my bacon of choice!

14)  Organicville Island Teriyaki Sauce & Marinade - I use this sauce mostly for marinating chicken breasts.  It's delicious and naturally sweetened with agave nectar.  It's gluten and dairy-free and you won't find anything on the ingredient list that you can't pronounce.  Oh - and maybe you guessed by the name, but it's all organic too!  I find it in the natural food aisle at Woodman's.

15)  Glutino Gluten Free Pretzel Sticks - I tried another brand of GF pretzel before trying this one and I will never try anything else!  These are awesome!  They taste like regular pretzels, you'd never know they are gluten-free and they also have the traditional pretzel shape in addition to the sticks.  They are gluten, milk, casein & egg free!  They are also great to use for a pretzel crust - yum!

16)  Spectrum Expeller Pressed Organic Virgin Coconut Oil - Wow, that is a mouthful!  I use the unrefined for medium heat to make my popcorn on the stove.  Pop your corn in it and then sprinkle with a little salt.  That is all you need and it will have a slight hint of coconut flavor, but not enough to turn off the non-coconut lover, in my opinion, but then I am on the opposite extreme there - I LOVE coconut!  And did you know that even though coconut oil is high in saturated fat, it's actually better for you than other oils?  In my opinion - this product and a little salt makes the best popcorn ever - and my family would agree!

17)  Daiya "Cheese" - So I tried this tonight for the first time.  We went to Raimondo's Pizza, my favorite pizza place.  They have a gluten free crust and they offered to put this cheese on for me if I brought it in, so I did!  It wasn't as good as mozzarella, of course, but it was doable!  The texture is a little different and to be honest, it doesn't look super appetizing, it has a yellowish color, but it was good!  I couldn't really tell that it wasn't actually cheese!  Also, this product contains no gluten, dairy or soy - bonus!  Give it a try if you are dairy-free!

18)  Kinnikinnick S'moreables Graham Style Crackers - These are awesome for eating, making S'mores and for graham cracker crusts!  I made a cheesecake a couple of weeks ago with a graham cracker crust using these crackers and it was incredible!  They are gluten, dairy and nut-free!

19)  Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie Mix - Awesome brownies and nobody will know they are gluten-free!  We love them for a quick dessert or to take to a potluck.  They are dairy-free as well!

20)  Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix - Another great product by Betty!  Also dairy-free!!  The dough is a little crumbly, but it tastes great and the cookies are incredible, especially right out of the oven!  With day old cookies, stick them in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds and you will think they are fresh from the oven!  I make cookies and freeze them so they stay fresh longer and then you can just take out a couple when you have a craving!

21)  Pamela's Sugar Cookie Mix - Awesome for cut-out sugar cookies!  Super easy to make - just add a stick of butter and one egg!  Gluten and dairy-free.  Dough is super easy to work with and HOLY COW are they delicious!!  You've definitely gotta try these!

22)  Chocolate Dream Baking Chips - These chocolate chips are dairy and gluten-free and they taste just like regular chocolate chips.  They do contain soy.

23)  Wellaby's Pita Chips - Gluten-free (but they do contain dairy), light, crispy and so yummy for dipping into your favorite dip or hummus!  Available in a variety of flavors!

24)  Diana's Bananas Banana Babies - Gluten and dairy-free frozen dark chocolate covered bananas!!  These are my "go to" sweet snack when I have a craving!  They are only 130 calories, 60 from fat.  They contain no artificial flavors, preservatives, colors or trans fats and best of all, they are delicious!!  They also have a milk chocolate variety and one with nuts, but those are not dairy-free.

25)  Udi's Three Cheese Pizza - I prefer to make home made gluten-free pizza, but when I need a quick dinner that my kids won't complain about, this pizza is perfect!  They are small though, so you might have to make a couple to feed your family, but they are delicious!  The crust is thin, crispy and gluten-free, but you'd never know it!

26)  Breton Herb and Garlic Crackers - They have different flavors, but I like this one the best.  They taste the closest to a gluten cracker as I have tasted yet!  They are great for snacking all by themselves or even better with a nice slice of cheese!

27)  King Arthur Chocolate Cake Mix - This is THE BEST out there!!!  It's so good that when I first tried a cupcake made with this mix at a potluck, I took one bite and threw the rest out!  I was sure that someone had made a mistake and they weren't actually gluten free!  Good news, they are, and they are better than any cake I've tried!  I would highly recommend any King Arthur product!

28)  King Arthur Muffin Mix - AMAZING!!!  Use it for any kind of muffins, but I like to make blueberry and add a little sugar in the raw on top!  You'll NEVER suspect they are gluten free, they are THAT good!!

29) 

No comments: