Friday, January 25, 2013

Sunbutter Crunch Granola

I just made this today for the first time and it was AWESOME!!!  My oldest son loves granola, but had been eating the Quaker brand, before going gluten-free.  There are some delicious gluten-free granolas that you can buy at the store, but they are super expensive, so I was looking for a more reasonable option to make at home.  This has a slight peanut buttery flavor from the Sunbutter and a natural sweetness from the honey and the salt rounds it out perfectly.  It's also gluten and dairy-free.  I hope my son likes it as much as I do!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

PS: This recipe comes from Carol Kicinski's blog:  simplygluten-free.com


SUNBUTTER CRUNCH GRANOLA

1/4 cup creamy Sunbutter
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups certified gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1)  Preheat oven to 325F.  Spray a cookie sheet with gluten-free non-stick cooking spray.

2)  Combine the Sunbutter and honey in a large, microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave for 30 secons or until the Sunbutter has melted.

3)  Stir in the vanilla, salt and oats.  Make sure all the oats are coated with the Sunbutter mixture.

4)  Spread in an even layer on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice while baking.  Let cool.  Mixture will become crunchy as it cools.

NOTES:

~Sunbutter is a spread made from sunflower seeds.  They will carry it in most natural food stores.  I got mine at Woodman's.

~I used Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats

~When you spread the mixture onto the cookie sheet, keep it all together in the middle of the sheet, don't allow "straglers" or those lone pieces will burn.

~ I set my timer for 7 minutes, stirred, another 7 minutes, stirred again and then cooked for another 6 minutes before taking it out of the oven and then stirred it one last time.

No comments: