Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Silvana's All Purpose Flour Blend

When I first went gluten-free, a little over a year ago, one of my friend's (who was already gluten and dairy-free) told me about a cookbook that she absolutely LOVES - it's by Silvana Nardone and it's called Cooking for Isaiah, Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy, Delicious Meals.  Of course, feeling completely lost in the g-free world, I bought it right away!  I Slivana's flour blend for a variety of recipes.  I have used it successfully in some and unsuccessfully in others.  That's gluten-free baking for you, unfortanately, many times, it's trial and error.

For baking, it is much easier to go with recipes that are already gluten-free, but like I said, there have been times where I had success with this flour blend in recipes that call for regular flour.  Her flour blend is best used for the recipes in her book, but I give it to you here, because I will add a few of her recipes to my blog and those recipes will reference this flour blend.

So here you go...


SILVANA'S ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR BLEND

6 cups white rice flour*
3 cups tapioca flour*
1 1/2 cups potato starch*
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons xanthum gum*

*For these products, she recommends using Bob's Red Mill brand, except for the tapioca flour, she recommends Shiloh Farms.  (I could not find Shiloh Farms tapioca flour in my grocery store, so I ordered it on-line.)

1)  In a large bowl, whisk together the rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, salt and xanthum gum.  Transfer to an airtight storage container and store in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator.

Makes about 4 pounds

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kirsten - you gave me this GF flour recipe and I LOVE it - I use it all the time. Great for baking which I love to do - you have saved me from any more batches of cookies going into the garbage!

Kirsten said...

Glad you like it!! I just made some snickerdoodles from Silvana's cookbook yesterday and they were awesome! I will post the recipe soon!!