Saturday, January 26, 2013

Crab Cakes

Made these tonight for the first time and they were super yummy!  My boys didn't like them very much, but they did eat them.  My little guy liked them a little bit I think.  ; )  I thought they were outstanding!  I didn't have time tonight, but next time, I think I will make a sauce to serve along with them.  Maybe something a little sweet, since the crab cakes are a bit spicy!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

PS: This recipe comes from Carol Fenster's cookbook called "100 Best Gluten-Free Recipes".


CRAB CAKES

2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon dried minced onion or 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or 1 tablespoon dried
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
1 large egg
1 tablespoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound lump crab meat, picked over for shells and cartilage
1 cup plain gluten-free bread crumbs
2 tablespoons canola oil, for frying

1)  Place a rack in the middle of the oven.  Preheat the oven to 300F.

2)  In a large bowl, combine the mayo, onion, parsley, mustard, Old Bay, egg, Worcestershire, lemon juice, salt and cayenne.  Gently fold in the crab meat and bread crumbs.

3)  Shape the mixture into 16 cakes, about 1 inch thick.  (The crab cakes can be refrigerated overnight at this point, if needed.)

4)  In a large, heavy, ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Add the crab cakes and cook over medium heat until golden and crisp, 2-3 minutes per side.  Transfer the skillet to the oven to keep the crab cakes warm until serving time.

NOTES:

~I used real lump crab meat from Woodman's.  It comes in a can and it is about $19.00 for a pound, but it is worth it!  If you went out to eat, you'd be hard pressed to spend that little on dinner for 4, or even two!

~Mayo is actually dairy-free, but it does contain eggs.

~I didn't have any cayenne, so I left it out and they were still great, and even a little spicy from the mustard and the Old Bay!

~I don't think I got 16 cakes, and I did make mine small, at the thickness she recommends.

~I used cracker crumbs that I make from the Glutino Original Crackers.  That is pretty much my stand-by for bread crumbs.

~You can make Southwestern Crab Cakes by varying the recipe as follows:
In step 1, replace the Old Bay with 2 teaspoons Spice Islands Smoky Mesquite Seasoning and replace the lemon juice with lime juice.  Stir in 1 (4-ounce) can drained chopped green chiles with the crab and bread crumbs.

No comments: