Monday, January 14, 2013

Crispy Chicken Nuggets

These are wonderful gluten-free nuggets that your kids (and Mom & Dad) will love!  They can be frozen and heated up for a quick meal too!  My husband (Michael) and I love to eat them with a little gluten-free BBQ sauce and the kids just like them plain.

Enjoy!
Kirsten

PS: I got the recipe from The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook by Pamela J. Compart, M.D., and Dana Laake, R.D.H., M.S., L.D.N.

CRISPY CHICKEN NUGGETS

1/2 cup ghee, melted
2 cups crushed gluten-free, casein free potato chips or cassava chips of choice
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk substitute
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
Salt and pepper

1)  Preheat oven to 350F.  Brush a baking sheet with 2 Tablespoons of the melted ghee.

2)  Spread the crushed chips into a shallow dish; beat the egg together with the milk substitute in a medium bowl.

3)  Toss the chicken pieces in the egg mixture until throughly coated.  Then drop each piece separately into the chips, cover them to coat, and then transfer to the greased baking sheet.

4)  When all of the pieces are coated, drizzle the remaining ghee over the tops and lightly season with salt and pepper.

5)  Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown.

NOTES:

~I have to admit that I have never heard of ghee before, so I just used butter and I only used 1/4 cup.

~I used Lay's Natural Potato Chips and used my food processor to crush them.

~I basically doubled the recipe using 2 eggs, 4 Tablespoons of ALMOND MILK, and 4 chicken breasts.

~The first time I made these, I figured the chips were salty enough, so I did not add any extra salt, but they really needed it, so now I always add the salt.  I do omit the pepper though.

~15 minutes is the right amount of time for my oven, check them for doneness at that point, you don't want to overcook them!

~Freeze them in storage bags and take out as many as you want on a night when you are rushed!  To reheat, just coat a baking sheet with a light coating of non-stick cooking spray, put into a 400F oven and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes. (Flip over half way through cooking time.)







No comments: