Monday, January 21, 2013

Allie's Awesome Buckwheat Pancakes by 1-2-3 Gluten Free

My take on ALLIE'S AWESOME BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES:

Since having gone dairy free, we cannot have Pamela's pancake mix anymore, so sad!!  So I am on the hunt for another pancake mix.  I may end up making them from scratch, but for now, I want a quick box mix to rely on.

I recently bought four different pancake mixes and we are going to try them one-by-one and see which one we like the best.

So this morning, we tried Allie's Awesome Buckwheat Pancakes by 1-2-3 gluten free and....well....they were not so awesome!

I thought the mix smelled a little funny, but I liked the texture.  I kept my batter thick and they puffed up nicely and made a nice hearty pancake, however, they seem to have a very strange after taste.

My 7-year old likes pancakes with just a light dusting of powdered sugar and he was almost in tears after the first silver dollar pancake he ate.  He really didn't like the taste that it left in his mouth.  I definitely noticed it too.  It was very strong when I tried a couple of bites of his plain pancakes.  I made mine with blueberries and I put a little maple syrup on them and it masked it a little bit, but I think we will move on and see if some of the other ones are better.

This mix tastes good when you are chewing it, but the after taste is pretty strong.  To me, it wasn't horrible, but I'd prefer to have pancakes without the after taste!


No comments: