Sunday, February 24, 2013

Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour Blend

I just bought this new cookbook, it's called Recipes for Gluten-Free Kids (Fun Eats from Breakfast to Treats!).  First of all, it is the cutest cookbook I've ever seen and the recipes in it look amazing too!  I checked it out at my local library first and then decided it was worth buying.  Anyway, this flour blend is from this cookbook.  So far, I have only used it once, for one of the recipes in the cookbook, but I have to say, I was seriously impressed! I made the Carrot-Spice Snack Cake and you would NEVER know it was gluten-free!  So moist and delicious!!  You can check out the recipe under "Cakes".

Happy Baking!
Kirsten

PS:  Again, this comes from the Recipes for Gluten-Free Kids (Fun Eats from Breakfast to Treats!) Cookbook!

GLUTEN-FREE ALL PURPOSE FLOUR BLEND

(This blend is for all baked goods not made with yeast.)

1 cup (158 grams) white rice flour
1 cup (127 grams) sorghum flour
1 cup (125 grams) tapioca flour
1 cup (128 grams) cornstarch
1 cup (112 grams) almond flour or (112 grams) coconut flour

1)  Combine all ingrediets in a large bowl.  Whisk to make sure the flours are evenly distributed.  The recipe can be doubled or tripled.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

NOTES:

~I recommend investing in a kitchen scale!  Gluten-free flours really should not be measured by volume, but instead, by weight.  1 cup of white rice flour is not the same as 1 cup of sorghum flour.  It can make or break your recipes, really, and it's a small investment.  I got my scale from Kohl's for about $30.00 and it works great!  This cookbook did not have the weights of the different flours in it, but I have listed them above.  I will be putting a handy reference guide on my blog soon with the weights of all of the most commonly used gluten-free flours, so keep an eye out for that!

~I used coconut flour for the last ingredient and it actually has a wonderful and subtle coconut aroma.  I think it adds a yummy background flavor to baked goods.  Almond flour is awesome too, so either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments: