Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Caramel Apple Dip

This recipe came from my friend Dena.  She made it a few years ago at one of her parties and I just had to have the recipe.  It has been a favorite of ours ever since and can usually be found on the table at our parties!  You can make it with or without the nuts; many times I make both, to please everyone!  It is best served with Granny Smith apples.

Enjoy!
Kirsten

CARAMEL APPLE DIP

1 8-ounce brick cream cheese
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup pecans

1)  Mix cream cheese, brown sugar and vanilla until well combined.

2)  Fold in nuts and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.

NOTES:

~I break up the nuts a little with my hands before folding them in.

~I usually make this a day ahead, so I don't have to worry about giving it enough time in the fridge the day of a party.  If you serve it too soon, it will be grainy.  The brown sugar needs time to absorb moisture from the cream cheese and vanilla.

~Don't cut up your apples too far in advance or they will turn brown, even if they are covered, however, you can spritz them with a little lemon juice mixed with water to help keep their color.  I serve them with their skins on, so buy organic if you can!

No comments: