Sunday, February 24, 2013

Carrot-Spice Snack Cake

I just got this new cookbook and after making their recommended all-purpose gluten-free flour blend, I made this yummy snack cake.  It was AMAZING!!!  You'd never know it was gluten-free!  The recipe is also dairy-free, but I chose to use butter, instead of the dairy-free margarine.  I used almond milk instead of soy and I omitted the raisins, just because I am not a big fan and I figured it would also be more kid-friendly that way.  My kids kept asking what kind of cake it was and I just said "snack cake"!  I knew if I said the word carrot - they would turn around and run.  The verdict - Drew loved it, Will said he didn't like it, but I really think it's because we served it warm, right out of the oven and because it was something new.  I sprinkled a little powdered sugar on top and it was just incredible!!  I will definitely make this recipe again and you can bet I'll be posting more recipes from this cookbook as I try them!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

PS: The cookbook is called Recipes for Gluten-Free Kids (Fun Eats from Breakfast to Treats!)

CARROT-SPICE SNACK CAKE

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup dairy-free margarine
2 eggs
1/2 cup soymilk or other dairy-free milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Blend (see that recipe under "GF Flour Blends")
3/4 cup finely shredded carrot
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup golden raisins
Powdered sugar for sprinkling on top

1)  Preheat oven to 350F.  Spray 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2)  Beat sugar and margarine in medium bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended.  Beat in eggs, soymilk and vanilla.

3)  Stir in flour blend, carrot, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, xanthan gum and salt.  Stir in raisins.

4)  Spread batter in prepared pan.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.  Cool completely in pan on wire rack.  Just before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

NOTES:

 ~In my Gluten-Free Flour Blends tab - you will find the recipe for the flour blend above.  You have to look in the body to make sure it is the one from above mentioned cookbook.

~As mentioned above, I used butter instead of the dairy-free margarine, but if you are completely dairy-free, stick with the recipe as shown!

~I try to stay away from soy as much as possible because it is all GMO and it has estrogen in it, but we love almond milk, so that is what I used for this recipe.

~You could add nuts to this cake if you wanted and that would be delicious, but maybe not as kid-friendly.  I omitted the raisins for myself, as well as the kids.  I just have never been a big raisin fan.




No comments: