Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Simple Vanilla Ice Cream

I just love my ice cream maker!  It's so much easier than when I was a kid!  We used to have one that you had to fill with ice and salt and then crank for what seemed like forever!  Now you just pour it in, turn it on and in about 20 minutes, you have soft serve ice cream!

Unfortunately, I am having to drop dairy from my diet, but I'll still be making yummy treats for my kiddos for sure!

This vanilla ice cream is easy and so delicious!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

PS: The recipe comes from the Cuisinart Recipe Booklet.

SIMPLE VANILLA ICE CREAM

1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract

1)  In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes.

2)  Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.

3)  Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into the freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. (The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture.  If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours.  Remove from freezer and 15 minutes before serving.

NOTES:

~The first time I made this, I accidentally used only 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla.  I made it again using the full 1 1/2 tablespoons and my family decided that they liked it better with less!  Try it both ways and see what you like, but we prefer 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla.  It still has a wonderful vanilla flavor.  To me, when you add more, it starts to taste "fake", if that makes sense.

No comments: