Friday, February 6, 2015

Sea Salt's Tomato and Red Cabbage Soup

I tried this soup for the first time today - it's super yummy! It has a citrus flavor, probably from the tomatoes.  I can see this side by side with a nice grilled cheese sandwich or maybe something fancier than that!  Maybe the first course to a special meal!  It's delicious, and healthy!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

PS: This recipe comes from the book Grain Brain, by David Perlmutter, MD

SEA SALT'S TOMATO AND RED CABBAGE SOUP

1/2 cup olive oil (divided)
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 - 28 oz. cans San Marzano tomatoes
1 red cabbage, chopped
5 fresh basil leaves (plus more for the garnish)
6 cups chicken stock
6 cups vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste

1)  In a large soup pot, over medium-high heat, add half of the olive oil and sweat the onions, celery and garlic until translucent (about 5 minutes).

2)  Add the tomatoes, red cabbage, basil leaves, chicken and vegetable stocks and bring to a boil.

3)  Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook at a low boil for 25-30 minutes.

4)  Add the remaining olive oil, season with salt and pepper and let the soup stand for 10 minutes.

5)  Puree the soup with a hand blender or transfer to a blender to puree.

6)  Garnish with a couple of basil leaves, optional.  Serve.

NOTES:

~I used Borrelli San Marzano Tomatoes

~If you can get organic ingredients, I always recommend it, even if you have to pay a little more!

~I used home made chicken stock that I had in the freezer.  I froze it in two cup bags, to make it easy to use in recipes later.  Home made stock is super simple and you can let it cook in your slow cooker overnight!  Check out the recipe for Overnight Chicken Stock in the Slow Cooker on my blog!

~If you don't make your own stock, make sure to buy one without MSG!  I like Kitchen Basics brand.

~I used my immersion hand blender to puree the soup.  I highly recommend that method if you own an immersion blender!  If not, you can transfer the soup to your counter top blender and do it that way.  I had to blend it for quite a while to get the lumps out.  If you feel little lumps on your tongue when you taste it, just keep blending!  They will go away and it will be smooth!



No comments: