Sunday, February 1, 2015

Cauliflower Soup

This is my husband's favorite soup!  I made it yesterday, just in time for a huge snow storm and the super bowl!  With a touch of hot sauce to spice it up, I guarantee it will become a favorite at your house!  The original recipe wasn't gluten free and called for chicken bouillon, so I changed it up a bit to make it a little healthier and gluten free!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

CAULIFLOWER SOUP

1 medium head cauliflower, chopped small
1 medium carrot, shredded or chopped thin
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons gluten free flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional

1)  In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil.

2)  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until veggies are tender (do not drain).

3)  In another large saucepan, melt butter.  Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth.

4)  Gradually add milk.  Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

5)  Reduce heat.  Stir in cheese until melted.  Add hot pepper sauce if desired.

6)  Stir into the cauliflower mixture.

NOTES:

~I used home made chicken stock, which is so much better and healthier than store bought.  It's simple to make after cooking a whole chicken in the crock pot!  Check out the recipes for the chicken and the overnight chicken stock on my blog!  If you use store bought, make sure to get one without MSG!

~I double the recipe and freeze half.

~I used sorghum flour, but I'm sure most any gluten free flour would be fine.

~I usually throw in a handful of extra cheese and some extra hot sauce, we like it spicy!



No comments: