Sunday, February 8, 2015

Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole

I made this recipe last night and my husband and I loved it!  It's total comfort food!  My kids hated it, unfortunately.  Yours might like it though; I know the author of the cook book that it's from says that her daughter loves it.  I think my kids aren't used to casseroles.  They are very funny about textures and one of them isn't real fond of cheese.  I think it could be made a little more kid friendly by using some American cheese in addition to the cheddar.  The broccoli and cheddar flavors are maybe a little on the bitter side for some kids.  The original recipe is not gluten-free, so I made some changes.

Enjoy!

Kirsten

PS: The recipe comes from one of my favorite cook books, 100 Days of Real Food by Lisa Leake.

CHEESY BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE

1 cup uncooked brown rice, cooked according to the package directions
3/4 pound broccoli, roughly chopped (4 or 5 cups) and steamed for about 5 minutes
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups grated sharp-cheddar cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
Ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
Extra-virgin olive oil

1)  Preheat the oven to 400F.

2)  Combine the cooked rice and broccoli in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

3)  Melt the butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.  Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, until the flour begins to brown, but doesn't burn, whisking almost continuously.

4)  Whisk in the milk, watching for lumps.  Sprinkle in the cheese, salt, mustard, and pepper and stir until well combined.  Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the mixture is the consistency of very thick gravy, less than 5 minutes.

5)  Pour the cheese sauce over the broccoli and rice.  Mix thoroughly and spread evenly in an 8x8-inch baking dish.

6)  Sprinkle the casserole with the bread crumbs and then drizzle (or spray) enough olive oil over the top to coat the bread crumbs.

7)  Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the bread crumbs are nicely browned.  Serve warm.

NOTES:

~I was short on time, so I didn't use brown rice, I used minute rice instead.  If I had more time, I would definitely use brown rice, since it's much healthier than white, especially minute rice, but in a pinch, minute rice will work.  I used 2 cups of rice/2 cups of water and it made just the right amount.

~I chopped the broccoli pretty small, to make it a little kid friendlier.

~I used a flour blend that I made, but you could use any gluten-free flour.

~I used dry mustard instead of regular mustard.  I didn't measure it, but I'm guessing I used about 1/2 teaspoon.

~I used butter on the top instead of olive oil.  Just cut some small chunks and lay them all around the top.

~I think this would also be delicious, and a little healthier, if you added some cooked chicken to it.  I may try that next time, to make it more of a well balanced meal.

No comments: