Thursday, February 26, 2015

Rice Vinegar Asian Salad

Just finished tossing this together for dinner tonight.  Going to serve it with some Tilapia.  It was one of the easiest recipes I've ever made.  It was done in no time and it's healthy and delicious!  I'm not sure if my kids will like it, but I know my husband will!  It would make a great snack!  Crunchy, tangy, a little spicy, and fun to eat with chop sticks!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

PS: The recipe comes from Allergy-Proof Recipes for Kids, by Leslie Hammond and Lynne Marie Rominger.

RICE VINEGAR ASIAN SALAD

1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
1 - 16 oz. bag prepared coleslaw cabbage
Cayenne or black pepper to taste
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1 tablespoon toasted sunflower seeds

1)  In a large bowl, mix together vinegar, vegetable oil, ginger, olive oil and honey.

2)  Stir in cabbage mixture, pepper, and scallions until thoroughly coated.  Toss in sunflower seeds and stir.

NOTES:

~I did use rice vinegar, but if you don't have it, this recipe would be delicious with apple cider vinegar too.

~I'm not a big fan of vegetable oil and most canola oil is GMO.  I would recommend something healthier like safflower oil.  I'm wondering if peanut oil would give it a nuttier flavor maybe?

~When it was done, I thought it was too tart, so I added an extra tablespoon of honey!  Play around with it until you are satisfied!  Even with the tablespoon I added, it was still pretty tart.

~I used 1/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper and I thought it was just the right amount of spice.  For my kids, I might use a little less.

~I toasted the sunflower seeds by placing aluminum foil on a baking sheet, spraying it with non-stick cooking spray and baking them at 375F for 5-6 minutes.  When you can smell them, they are done!  Let them cool before throwing them into the salad.  Also, I used more than a tablespoon, probably more like 1/4 cup.

No comments: