Thursday, April 10, 2014

Italian Pot Roast

Tried this recipe the other night for dinner.  It was super easy and so delicious!  The meat was so tender it was falling apart!  I felt like it needed potatoes, so I would probably add those next time I make it, but other than that - it was AWESOME!!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

ITALIAN POT ROAST

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (2-21/2 pound) chuck roast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup beef broth
1 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
1 small onion, halved and quartered
2 bay leaves
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

1)  Preheat oven to 325F

2)  Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed, oven-safe pot over medium-high heat.

3)  Season roast with salt and pepper.  Add roast to pan; cook for 5-8 minutes, turning to brown all sides.

4)  Stir in broth, wine, Italian seasoning, onion and bay leaves.  Cover tightly.

5)  Bake for 1 1/2 hours.  Add carrots and bake 1 hour longer or until tender.  Remove and discard by leaves.

NOTES:

~I recommend staying away from regular corn or canola oils, as they are all GMO.  I prefer to use olive or grape seed oil. 

~I always use Kosher salt for seasoning/cooking.

~Look for a broth that does not contain any artificial flavorings/colorings or MSG!  And of course, make sure it's gluten-free!

~I used a Merlot that I happened to have already open, but you could use whatever dry red you have on hand.  I recommend having a little glass while you cook!

~Like I said above, I would add potatoes to this dish.  Or you could serve it over rice, but I like the potato idea better.  I would halve the potatoes (or quarter if they are huge) and add them when you add the carrots.

~You could also do this in the slow cooker, cooking on low for about 6 hours (that's my guess).


No comments: