Friday, April 4, 2014

All-American Meat Loaf

I found this recipe many years ago and will never try another meat loaf recipe.  I just don't think it can get any better than this.  It's total comfort food served with some fluffy mashed potatoes!  My kids even like it, once I scrape off the ketchup mixture on top!  I love the whole package and I'm guessing you will too!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

ALL-AMERICAN MEAT LOAF

2 pounds ground chuck
3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Topping:
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons prepared mustard

1)  Preheat oven to 350F.

2)  Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl - except for the ground beef.  Mix well, add ground beef and mix until well combined.

3)  Split mixture in half and shape into two loaves.  Place in loaf pans and bake for 40 minutes.

4)  Meanwhile, combine the topping ingredients and mix well.  Cover and set aside.

5)  After meatloaf has cooked for 40 minutes, spoon ketchup mixture over the top and bake another 15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the middle registers 160deg.

NOTES:

~Do not use the 90% lean beef, you want a little fat in the meat so it's juicy and not too dry!  I sometimes use one pound of the 90%+ lean and one pound of the 80-85% lean.

~If you have young children, chop your onions small so they go undetected!

~I use all natural, organic ketchup with no corn syrup or added chemical ingredients.

~I use almond milk instead of cow's milk.




No comments: