Thursday, April 3, 2014

Banana Breakfast Cookies

Cookies for breakfast!  Say no more, I'm all over that!  These cookies have no sugar, except for what's in the chocolate chips and the coconut (if you use sweetened coconut) and they are super moist, totally delicious and very simple to make!  Oh, and did I mention, they are gluten free - and dairy free if you use dairy free chocolate chips!

My friend Carolyn and I made them this morning and we were pleasantly surprised with the end result!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

BANANA BREAKFAST COOKIES

3 large ripe bananas, well mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed just a little so it isn't solid
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups gluten free rolled oats
2/3 cup almond meal
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chocolate chips

1)  Preheat the oven to 350F.

2)  In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas, then add the coconut oil and vanilla and mix well.

3)  Add the oats, almond meal, salt and baking powder and mix well.

4)  Stir in the coconut, walnuts and chocolate chips until combined.

5)  Form the dough into 12 balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and flatten them a little bit.  Bake for 14-16 minutes.

NOTES:

~I ended up adding more chocolate chips when I made them, probably almost 1/2 cup, but they would still be delicious with less.

~I also decided to make my cookies smaller, if you only make 12 cookies, they are going to be huge.  I made about 26 cookies and mine were about 2" in diameter.  They were cooked perfectly after 12 minutes, but if you make them bigger, they will need more time to cook.  I think next time I will do something in between.


 

No comments: