Monday, November 9, 2015

Cinnamon Apple Sauce

I had surgery recently and a friend brought me this delicious apple sauce!!  I had to get the recipe!  She used sweet apples so it didn't even need any added sugar - awesome!  Perfect for fall!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

CINNAMON APPLE SAUCE

5 pounds of sweet apples
1 tablespoon cinnamon

1)  Peel apples, slice and place in a pot with 1/8 inch of water in the bottom.

2)  Stir cinnamon into 1/4 cup of water until well combined, then pour over the apples.

3)  Cook on medium heat until the water starts to boil, then reduce to low and cook for about 30-45 minutes, until soft and mushy.

4)  Mash with a potato masher and serve warm or store in fridge until ready to eat.

NOTES:

~I used McIntosh apples that were a little on the mealy side to begin with and they worked great, except they were a little tart for my taste, so I did add about 1/4 cup of sugar.  If you use a sweeter apple, you won't need to add any sugar!

~I did not have to cook it for the full 30 minutes, maybe because my apples were very soft.  Also, they practically mashed themselves!  I did mash it a little, but I like to leave it a little on the chunky side so it's not like baby food.

~This is a great gift and looks beautiful in a mason jar with a circle of pretty fabric cut out for the lid!



No comments: