Friday, January 10, 2014

Mary's Apple Pancake

When I had the flu recently, my friend Mary brought me this delicious apple pancake.  I didn't have much of an appetite, but this really hit the spot.  It's total comfort food!  I don't think my kids would like it, at least not at their young age, but I thought it was absolutely delicious and I know when they are older, they are going to love it!  It's perfect for a cold winters morning!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

PS:  The recipe comes from my dear friend Mary Rotrekl, who took such good care of me when I was sick!  Look for another recipe from Mary - Home Made Chicken Noodle Soup - yummy!

MARY'S APPLE PANCAKE

4 tablespoons butter
7 eggs
1 tablespoon coconut flour
¾ cup ground nuts (Mary used a combination of almonds and walnuts)
1/8 cup granulated coconut palm sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
3 apples, peeled, cored, sliced (Mary used Honey Crisp, but Granny Smith would be good too)
Cinnamon & sugar mixture:  1/8 cup cinnamon and 1/4 cup granulated coconut palm sugar

1)  Preheat oven to 350F.  Place butter in 12" round pan with 3" high sloping side. Heat in oven for 3 minutes to melt butter. Tilt pan to spread butter evenly over bottom of pan. Set aside.

2)  In mixer, beat eggs slightly (not until foamy). Blend in coconut flour, ground nuts, coconut palm sugar and salt. Gradually add milk, beating until smooth.

3)  Fill pan with apple slices. Pour batter over apples. Bake for 30 minutes.

4)  Remove from oven. Turn upside down onto a cookie sheet. Spoon cinnamon-sugar evenly over top. Return to oven, baking another 30 minutes.

NOTES:

~You could substitute another gluten free flour for the coconut flour.

~You could substitute another sugar for the coconut palm sugar.  Regular granulated sugar would be fine.

~You could easily make this dairy free by using Almond Milk instead of cow's milk.

~Use whatever type of nuts you like, pecans would be great too.

No comments: