Friday, January 10, 2014

Kirsten's Easy Bananas Foster

So I had these bananas sitting on the counter, and then I remembered I had that caramel topping in the fridge.  Well, one thing led to another and I came up with this super easy and quick bananas foster recipe!  It's SUPER rich, so for just my hubby and I, I only use one banana.  Pour it over some vanilla ice cream and get ready for an incredibly rich and delicious dessert, in less than 5 minutes!  It's perfect for company because it tastes amazing, it looks fantastic and you won't be spending time away from your guests slaving in the kitchen!  Bear with me on the recipe because I didn't measure anything, so I'll make guesstimates for you.

Enjoy!
Kirsten

KIRSTEN'S EASY BANANAS FOSTER

Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch Caramel topping
Butter
Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
Bananas

1)  Heat a small sauce pan over medium heat.  Add about 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of butter.

2)  Add a few spoonfuls of Mrs. Richardson's topping and a splash of Captain Morgan's and stir to combine.

3)  Cut your banana(s) and add them to the pan.

4)  Keep the flame at about medium, you want the caramel to get bubbly so the bananas soften up quickly, but you don't want it to burn, so keep stirring it around.  Once the bananas look like they are soft, remove it from the flame and pour it over some vanilla ice cream.  It takes less than 5 minutes for them to soften, so keep stirring and watch them carefully.

NOTES:

~I highly recommend using Mrs. Richardson's - it's the best caramel topping I've found, but if you have something else on hand, I'm sure it will work.

~Don't use margarine!  Butter = flavor in my book!!

~I have used bananas that were still a little green and also ones that were a little more ripe and they were both delicious.  I wouldn't recommend using an over ripe banana though, save those for smoothies and banana bread!

~You can cut your bananas any way you want.  I cut them into circles or wedges, but you could also cut them into long strips.  I prefer smaller pieces to serve over ice cream, but you can get creative with it.



No comments: