Friday, January 10, 2014

Kirsten's Goulash

This is a recipe that I came up with years ago.  I think it was one of those, start with a little of this, add a little of that - and fortunately, I came up with a winner!  It's super yummy, a little spicy and perfect for a cold winter night!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

KIRSTEN'S GOULASH

2 lbs. ground beef
3 small or 2 medium green peppers, chopped large
2 medium onions, chopped large
1-2 large cloves of garlic, pressed
2 - 14 1/2 oz. cans beef broth
2 - 14 1/2 oz. cans Contadina tomatoes in thick sauce OR
2 - 14 1/2 oz. cans stewed tomatoes plus 2 - 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 - 8 oz. brick Velveeta Cheese, cut up into small chunks
1 - 1 lb. package Green Giant Extra Sweet Niblets Frozen Corn
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Chipotle Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon salt

1) Brown the ground beef and drain the grease off.

2)  Add the green peppers, onions and garlic and cook until crisp tender.

3)  Transfer to a large pot and add the remaining ingredients.  Simmer until the cheese is melted and it's heated through.

NOTES:

~It's best if you let it simmer for at least an hour.

~Get a good beef broth that doesn't have any MSG!  I usually use a boxed brand instead of the cans.  The amount doesn't have to be precise, just close.

~Since I created this recipe many years ago, I'm not sure if Contadina makes the tomatoes in thick sauce anymore, I seem to recall looking for them without success, so I have put another option after that item.  Don't use both - look for the word "OR" in the recipe and use one or the other!

~If you don't like spice, you could leave out the Tabasco.  For me, that is a key ingredient, but I am a spicy gal!



No comments: