Monday, December 8, 2014

The Best Pulled Pork in the Slow Cooker!

I just got a new cook book that I absolutely LOVE!  It's called 100 Days of Real Food.  I tried this recipe the other day and it was INCREDIBLE!!!  The only pork shoulder they had at the store was huge, so it made a ton!  Which is a good thing because we are still enjoying the leftovers!  So full of flavor, tender, moist, super delicious!  I served it with a recipe I just made up, Egg Nog Smashed Sweet Potatoes!  The combo of spicy and sweet always makes my taste buds smile!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

PS: The recipe comes from 100 Days of Real Food by Lisa Leake.

THE BEST PULLED PORK IN THE SLOW COOKER!

3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
3 to 3 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, cut in half

1)  In a medium bowl, combine the first six ingredients with a fork.

2)  Pour in the honey, vinegar and olive oil and stir to mix well.

3)  Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Top it with the 2 pieces of pork and then pour the honey mixture all over the pork pieces.  It's okay if some of it (or a lot of it) drips down to the bottom.  There is no need to add any water or other liquid.

4)  Turn the slow cooker on to low and cook for 7 to 8 hours or until the meat is tender enough to be easily shredded with a fork.

5)  Serve warm with fixings like homemade coleslaw and garlic toast.  Refrigerate or freeze the leftovers.

NOTES:

~I did not cut the pork in half.  It does have a thick bone running through it, so I just left it in one piece and it turned out great!

~My onions were a little small, so I used two.  You could even add a couple more if you wanted.  They simmer in the spicy juice and taste amazing when it's done!

~I used tongs to check to see if it was done.  Just pull at the meat and if it breaks off easily, it's done!

~As I mentioned above, this is delicious served with my Egg Nog Smashed Sweet Potatoes!  If you aren't a fan of egg nog, just replace it with milk.







No comments: