Monday, December 8, 2014

Egg Nog Smashed Sweet Potatoes

I made a new recipe the other night called "The Best Pulled Pork in the Slow Cooker" and I decided to make some mashed sweet potatoes with it.  I happened to have some holiday egg nog in the fridge, so I thought, what the heck, let's see how this turns out.  Well, it was AWESOME!!!  Especially with the spicy pulled pork.  I just love the sweet and spicy combo!  I think you will too!

Enjoy!
Kirsten

PS: This recipe is my own personal creation!  I hope you like it as much as I do!

EGG NOG SMASHED SWEET POTATOES

4-5 Sweet Potatoes
1/3-1/2 cup of egg nog
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
3-4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar

1)  Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small equal sized chunks.

2)  Bring a large pot of water to boiling and add the sweet potato chunks.  Cook until tender and drain.

3)  Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a hand held immersion blender.  Add the remaining ingredients and mash/mix well.

4)  Top with a sprinkle of nutmeg and serve.

NOTES:

~I did not measure the spices when I made it, so I am guessing.  Just play with it!  Also, keep in mind that you don't want to over do the nutmeg if you are going to sprinkle some on top as a garnish.

~I used Oberweis Egg Nog, which is super thick and creamy, so if you are using a different brand that is thinner, you might want to start with the smaller amount and add more if need be.

No comments: